One Source Talent is mostly a scam

Issue not resolved

Around mid-March I signed up with One Source Talent and like many others here, reluctantly paid 495 + 39.95.Although this was ridiculous, I was asked back for a 3rd "interview" and the so-called "talent coordinator" was trying to force me to pay for their photographers, which was in excess of $400.

So, before you get any jobs - if you get any jobs - you're are out nearly $1000. Since I could not pay for this, I was sent home; yet the interview states someone would look over my resume and cover letter. This never happened, which to me indicates a breach of contract. By the way I went to the Miami one and live about 2 1/2 hours away.

In the meantime, I researched the company in depth, which I should have done before I went. I read every consumer problem on this website. Also, they are not with the BBB as of January 2011 and they had a C+ rating previously. There is another site that asks if this is a scam and a lot of people commented on that site saying it wasn't.

I know for a fact that those people or most of them are employees or managers of the company. I decided to give them a chance so here is what I proposed. The show Burn Notice is set in Miami and I really wanted to get on the show. So, I said if you get me on Burn Notice, I will be somewhat satisfied.

She said she would definitely check. While she was checking, I signed up with 2 different actual talent agencies who I paid ZERO dollars for. Within 2 days, I was asked to be on the set of Burn Notice and I was. So, when I returned home, I emailed the manager and asked if she had checked for me.

She said that Burn Notice started a week ago from the day I was on it. This I know was not true as I was on the first day of the shoot. I have all the emails saved in case I want to get a lawyer. She also mentioned she submitted me to the Glades, which is also shot on location in South Florida.

The other agency I signed up for for free also submitted me to the Glades and I was accepted to be on the show. I have already received my check from Burn Notice minus the 10% agency fee. So, here is the problem with OST. All they do is what you can do yourself.

They submit you "supposedly" but they say if a director wants you they will call you. They are also making you pay for their website, which simply gets most of their castings from realitywanted.com where you can sign up for free. A Real talent agency sends of your photos (you don't necessarily need a comp card) to the producers and directors and oftentimes they tell the agency to send people of certain characteristics to them. In other words the agency decides to send you, then you simply follow instructions to whomever you need to report to on the set.

It is VERY EASY to become an extra, which is by far the best way to break in the industry. Since OST is NOT an agency (although I was told it was) they DO NOT have rapport with directors like a real talent agency does. I have never acted professionally until I was on the set of Burn Notice. I was given a name of an agency by another extra.

This agency sends me work at least twice a week. OST is border line legit, but definitely very corrupt. It is okay to pay for websites like exploretalent because you are paying them for audition information and I know for a fact they call producers to check if the producer is legit and how much money you will make. Given this, I did not mind the 39.95 from OST because it is a monthly website fee and many websites do do this so they can run it; however, the 495 fee is absolutely ridiculous.

With all this said - Have they given people jobs? The real answer is yes. BUT - these people submitted themselves, paid lots of money, and few, if any, have gained maximum exposure.

In other words, they paid 495 + 39.95 + 400 or more to submit and market ON THEIR OWN by clicking a few buttons on the website.As most actors and actresses say - never ever pay up front.

d703273 review #233298
144 Helpful? 197
Had the same issue23 Comments126 Report
Had an experience with One Source Talent?  Submit review about this company
greeneys

Dec 01 Crown Point, Indiana

what was the name of the company you ended up having success with? I have been getting calls non stop from ost but really want the success that you've had without any issues... mind helping me out?

MikeAG

Sep 26

What agency did you use and would you recommend them?

Anette

Sep 02

Where did you go to get signed up for free ?

Oct 16

Originally, I signed up with backgroundacting.com, but I don't think they exist anymore. While I was on the set of Burn Notice, I networked and another actor gave me a website called perfectextras which is now called Talentdirect. They are based out of Miami, but are now international. You can also use central casting in LA and NY. You can call them and ask about their sister companies in other cities. I have had 100's of people over the past few years ask me many questions. Soon, I will create a blog on my site explaining exactly how to become an actor / actress / model.

Jul 06

Central Casting out of LA and NY. Direct Talent out of Miami.

RichieNas

May 29

My kid just learned this place was a scam. They lured him in with promisses of a career in acting and stated it was just $40 a month. Of course, as soon as he said yes, they wanted another $500 as a nonrefundable deposit, besides the other things that he would have to she'll out money for to "get started". He was smart enough to get up and walk out at that point. Here's what makes me think they are not legit. They did all of this and were willing to take money from him even though he is a minor and no adult was present. To me that is the litmus test of this being corrupt and engaging in predatory practices, a serious crime.

Jul 06

This actually makes it worse than what I originally posted. I did not realize they would take money from a minor, but it doesn't surprise me.

Susan

May 01 Walnut, California

If you live in Los Angeles or plan to move here go to Central Casting 220 Flower, Burbank, CA. (818)562-2700 Hours: Monday & Wednesday 9:30am & 2:30pm, Friday 9:30am (new people) They Don't charge for anything, it's all free. To anyone who wants to get into showbiz if the agency asks you to pay money in advance they are not legitimate. an agency is only supposed to get paid after you have worked, it comes out of your pay after you have worked please remember this. Print this comment out or write it down and pass it on to others.

Lanie

May 01 Houston Heights, Texas

They are a total scam. I know the girl who runs the one in Houston. She first of all always complains she hates her job. Secondly, she knows zero people in the industry here. It's all about how many people they can pressure into signing up, even if, as she stated, they were UGLY. Save your money and go somewhere legit.

Sam

May 01

All one source talents wants is money upfront

Cecily Gish

Dec 03, 2013 Fountain Valley, California

Here's the deal (as far as I can figure out):

OneSource Talent uses casting announcements that they use from other casting sites, much like ExploreTalent does. The casting notices they use are real, they just aren't THE BREAKDOWNS.

They're a middle-man, if you will.

Do people get work? Yes. Is it legitimate work? It's hard to say, since the folks who have posted here refuse to give any REAL information.

I am a working actress in LA. In 1998, I worked with Central Casting over the summer. It was fun, but they took their 10%, just like any legitimate agency does.

This summer, I signed with a new commercial agent through a mutual friend. If you're looking for an agent, ask your friends and relatives. While they may not be actors, they may have friends who are. This business is mostly about relationships.

My most recent project was shot last month with Ashton Kutcher. And I only had to pay my agency their percentage (20% because I'm non-union and the remainder came out to more than minimum wage).

The laws regarding agents vary state to state. One gal posted that she had a 10-day period in which she could get a refund. Other states cannot.

Please, PLEASE do your own research!!! Try www.Backstage.com, www.CastingNetworks.com and www.BreakdownServices.com. They have lots of forums for your questions, and many have sites specific to your region.

This is a hard
... Show more

nikki

Nov 07, 2013

Can I ask what company you sign
with for free cuz im trying to break into the acting world

ANGIE

Sep 20, 2013

:roll :sigh :( I dont know if its real or not.. I have an auditon on SATURDAY 9/21/13! I need to know so I wont get scammed! I wanna just live my dream , I dont want to get played so ANYONE WITH INFO Please , I'm just a girl with a HUGE dream to be on a show and show people I'm not scraps on a food plate! SO PLEASE HELP :eek :cry :(

Jess

Sep 17, 2013

I can't tell you whether or not if OST is a scam but my daughters are signed with a agency where they do not have to pay an upfront fee. My daughters agent say to not fall for any agency who asks for an upfront fee. My girls agency only gets paid by commission for work that they get.

Fefe

Oct 13, 2013

Whats the name of her agency.

susantalbot52

Aug 20, 2013 Hacienda Heights, California

Any talent agencies that asks for money upfront are not legitimate. If they do ask for money upfront just walk away. There is a talent agency in Burbank, California Called CENTRAL CASTING I myself am registered with them and everything there is FREE. Your Headshots, Classes, Etc... Look Them up online for their address and Phone number. @ centralcasting.com

1-20 of 126 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.